According to a recent class action complaint (pdf here) filed by the Leonard Law Office, PC and co-counsel:
“Plaintiff brings this class action challenging Specialized Loan Servicing, LLC’s (SLS’s) standardized practice of calling cellular telephones using an automatic telephone dialing system (“ATDS”) or a prerecorded voice without obtaining the subscriber’s prior express consent. These calls violate the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, 47 U.S.C. § 227, et seq. (TCPA). Such calls are characterized as “robocalls” for purposes of this Complaint.
Part of SLS’s loan servicing business involves making dunning calls to consumers to encourage their payment of outstanding debts. SLS places robocalls to consumers’ cell phones throughout the nation in its collection efforts.
SLS makes a significant portion of such robocalls to cell phone subscribers or users like Plaintiff, who have not consented to receiving any type of call from SLS, much less a robocall from a debt collector. There is no legitimate purpose for these calls.
SLS is a limited liability company formed in the State of Delaware. SLS is wholly-owned by Specialized Loan Servicing Holdings, LLC, a company whose ultimate parent is Computershare Limited, a publicly traded company on the Australian stock exchange. A third party residential mortgage servicer, SLS has offices in Colorado, Georgia, and Arizona, and is licensed in all fifty states and the District of Columbia.
According to Plaintiff’s phone records and cellular device, a partial list of calls he from received on his cell phone from SLS are as follows:
- 06/12/13 05:40 PM from 800-268-9706
- 08/20/13 10:31 PM from 800-268-9706
- 08/20/13 10:32 PM from 800-268-9706
- 11/20/13 09:21 AM from 800-268-9706
- 12/03/13 02:30 PM from 800-268-9706
- 01/06/14 04:50 PM from 800-268-9706
- 03/19/14 from 800-268-9706
- 04/29/14 09:16 PM from 800-268-9706
- 04/03/14 from 800-268-9706
- 04/16/14 from 800-268-9706
- 5/30/14 from 800-268-9706
SLS Routinely And Systematically Violates The TCPA
There are numerous entries on Internet sites set up to collect and share complaints about unwanted calls. A number of such sites contain complaints regarding similar calls from the same number regarding SLS. For example there are numerous complaints and comments on 800notes.com about (800) 268-9706, the number SLS frequently uses to contact Plaintiff:
- “These a***oles call me every day with their recorded message and 800#. I don’t know what the hell they are calling about, but I don’t want to talk
- “Sounds like a debt collector… since the number they are calling is a new one for me I assume it is wrong. Obviously I have no intention of calling
- “This company is calling me everyday (sic) to get a debt collection from someone else. I really hate it, they should go after the real person… Source: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-268-9706, accessed May 14, 2014.”